At some point during a tenancy something is going to fail, break or need replacing. At Oak Student Letts we understand this. In order to make the process as efficient as possible we will need some help from you, the tenant.

In order to report the repair, please use the “Report a repair” function on our website which is the most effective way of providing us with all the information we will need to promptly fix the issue. It is also worth noting the following.

1. Please report the repair by email, ideally using the “Report a repair” function on our website. This allows us to track repairs and prevents matters getting confused, which often happens with phone messages.

2. Please report the repair yourself rather than asking somebody else (e.g. parents or friends) to do it as we may well have questions which can only be answered by the person living in the property. We do reserve the right to not accept reports from non-tenants.

3. Most houses will have a useful green folder that contains the basic information of how to find your stop tap, fuse board etc.

4. When you report the repair we need as much information as possible in order to effectively fix the issue. We need to know where you live, who you are and how we (or a contractor) can contact you. In the “report a repair” link these steps are laid out to help you.

5. Please comprehensively describe the problem. As an example please tell us specifically that your radiator is colder than you expect it to be - rather than telling us your heating is not working. Also if a shower is not working we would need to know if we need to send an electrician for an electric shower or a plumber to a shower powered by a boiler.

6. Before reporting the repair you need to think whether it's something you can tackle yourself. If a light bulb needs changing this is up to you; if the bulb has a cover it can be removed. Part of the fun of renting your first house is learning the skills that are required in later life and there are certain jobs like bleeding radiators that for the first time will be your responsibility.

7. All the contractors working for us have full public liability insurance. We expect our staff and contractors to be courteous to you and they will do their very best to ensure that they work around you to get the job done properly. Please also be courteous and respectful to them as they help you. At times it may be essential that a contractor enters your room to undertake work and on those occasions it is a common decency to dress appropriately and not to stay in bed.

8. Please be aware that you will need to pay if we attend your property and there is either no fault or the issue has been caused by yourself. If an appointment is made to meet a contractor and you do not attend, you will also have to pay the call out fee.

9. We don't offer a full 24-hour service but we do have an “out of hours” telephone which we will monitor on a regular basis. Please call or text 07507 459903 and leave a message. We will try to help you but please bear in mind that most contractors don't work 24-hours and if they do the service may be limited (e.g. a plumber called to a leak on Saturday night will just turn off the stop tap until Monday). If you have a break in you will need to contact the Police and obtain a “scenes of crime” assessment before we can secure the property. If you have locked yourself out your house overnight you will need to either call a locksmith (at your expense) or wait till the next working day when we can attend. Please do bear in mind that if we attend and it is as a result of your inappropriate action you will incur costs.


1. My Radiators are not getting hot? Often this is a case of trapped air in the radiator which can be bled with a radiator key obtainable from Wilkos or a hardware store. As a tenant this would be your responsibility. Please see this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3dvJZoZvdI After doing this you may need to repressurise your boiler (see FAQ 2)

2. My boiler is not working? Often when a boiler stops working the problem is quite straightforward. If the boiler is an older style boiler, then there will be a pilot light. If it is not lit please e-mail the office.

In most cases your boiler will be a Combination Boiler (Combi-Boiler); if so please check the following:

  • a. The boiler is turned on at the wall and at the boiler itself.
  • b. Check the pressure gauge on the boiler. If this is below 1.5bar the boiler will need repressurising. This link below will show you how to correct this.
  • c. You must shut the valve off after refilling to prevent damage to the boiler. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TOPPING_UP_A_COMBI_BOILER.htm
  • d. If this does not correct the fault please turn the boiler off and contact the office.

3. What happens if the power cuts off or my fuse board needs resetting? If the power goes off in the house, first check that there has not been a power cut in the area. If so you may just have to wait until it is turned back on. Should it be just your house/flat please check your Fuse Board (consumer unit). Initially reset the fuses as below. If this does not work please unplug all appliances and try again. https://www.youtube.com//watch?v=f8mpFOYNE7o

4. How do I read my own Meters? Find the meters (typically in the cellar or a cupboard outside the house). For help on how to read each meter, visit the links below.

Electric and Gas Meter: https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-support/read-meter

Water Meter: https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-account/my-water-meter/find-and-read-your-meter/

5. What if my Shower or Bath blocks up? Over time all showers and baths can clog up with hair, dirt and small bottle tops. It would be prudent to buy a cheap BATH PLUNGER from Wilkos or a hardware store. Plumber's costs vary, but are always expensive for such a trivial repair and unblocking charges will almost invariably be paid by the tenants.

This site uses cookies. By continuing your visit, you accept their use as set out in our Cookie Policy. OK